Fire Destroys Newport Home

At 5:37 PM on Sunday, October 29, 2017, Newport Fire Department was dispatched to a house on fire and reports of smoke visible near the 600 block of SE 5th Street, directly above SE Bay Blvd. First in fire department units found heavy smoke coming from the attic and roof area. The building’s lone occupant had already evacuated.

Fire crews quickly determined the fire was largely in the attic. Because of the age of the home, past remodeling, and multiple layers of roofing material, firefighters had to cut numerous holes and tear down portions of the ceiling to find the seat of the fire. After the fire was extinguished, the building was ventilated of smoke and doors and windows were secured.

Newport Fire Department received mutual aid assistance from Toledo Fire Department, Depoe Bay Fire Department, and Seal Rock Fire District. Newport Police Department and Pacific West Ambulance also helped on scene. Newport Fire Department responded with two fire engines, two rescues, one ladder truck, two chief officers and 17 firefighters.

The cause of the fire was determined to be candles too close to combustible holiday decor. Newport Fire Department reminds everyone to keep candles at least 12 inches away from any combustible materials and to test your smoke detectors regularly.

Be the first to comment on "Fire Destroys Newport Home"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*