Thursday night at around 7:35 Newport Fire Department was dispatched to a sprinkler system alarm and reports of smoke visible at the Landing condominiums. Newport Fire Department responded with three fire engines, one ladder truck, two chief officers and 17 firefighters. First arriving fire units found a kitchen fire in a second-floor unit. The building was in the process of being evacuated. Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire and ventilate smoke from the unit. At the same time salvage crews were working to minimize sprinkler water damage to the units below.
The cause of the fire was determined to be combustibles stored on a stove cooktop which was accidentally left on. Newport Fire Department reminds everyone to regularly test smoke detectors, never leave cooking appliances on and unattended, and never use the stove cooktop to store combustible materials. Newport Fire Department received mutual aid assistance from Toledo Fire Department, Depoe Bay Fire Department, and Seal Rock Fire District. Newport Police and Pacific West Ambulance also helped on scene.
Information and photos provided by Newport Fire