Dumpster Fire Causes Minor Damage To The Econo-Lodge

Bay Blvd, Dehumidifier

At around 8:30 pm Wednesday evening, Newport Fire Department responded to a report of a dumpster fire at the Econo-Lodge on Highway 101. While responding, dispatch reported that the fire had spread to the building. The first arriving fire engine reported a fire next to a dumpster at the SE corner of the building that was quickly spreading west and threatening the motel and the adjacent building to the south. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire in a few minutes. The fire did minor damage to the siding of the motel, the separate garbage enclosure, and the siding of the adjacent building.

After the fire was knocked down crews went to the adjacent rooms to ensure the fire had not spread and to check for smoke conditions. All adjacent rooms were evacuated. NFD personnel spent the next hour overhauling the fire and conducting an investigation. Damage to the two buildings is estimated at $20,000. Newport Fire Department responded with 2 fire engines, 1 command vehicle and 11 firefighters. There were no injuries reported. The fire was caused by discarded smoking materials placed in a plastic garbage container that was filled with combustible materials. Newport Fire Department urges everyone to place all combustible debris in an approved container with the lid on.