OFFICE OF THE SHERIFF
Sheriff Curtis L. Landers
225 W. Olive Street
Newport, Oregon 97365
Tel (541) 265-4277
Fax (541) 265-4926
TIP OF THE WEEK
Date: December 5, 2016
A number of holiday and winter-related challenges can present themselves and coastal residents are no stranger to those challenges. The following tips are offered as reminders and maybe even a few new thoughts. The following tips are found in the 2016 Emergency Management calendar, which can be downloaded at www.lincolncountysheriff.net/
Tree Safety Tips
* Choose a holiday tree with green needles that do not fall off when touched.
* Keep the tree at least 3 feet away from heat sources an add water to the stand daily.
* Never use lit candles on or near a tree.
* Always turn off the tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
Poison Control, 800-222-1222
* Holly berries, mistletoe and poinsettias are poisonous if swallowed.
* Keep ornaments and snow globes out of children’s and pet’s reach, they may contain lead or other dangerous ingredients and will have sharp edges if broken.
* Keep medication and poisonous products secured and away from children and pets.
* Install a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector in your home. CO is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas. Do not use the oven or gas range to heat your home. Dial 9-1-1 if your detector sounds.
If Caught in Winter Weather
* Stay in the vehicle.
* Run the motor about 10 minutes each hour for heat.
* Open a window a little for fresh air and to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
* Make sure the exhaust pipe is not blocked.
* Be visible to rescuers; turn on the dome light at night when running the engine.
* Tie a colored cloth to your antenna or door.
* Exercise: from time to time, move arms, legs, fingers and toes vigorously to keep blood circulating and to keep warm.