OFFICE OF THE SHERIFF
Sheriff Dennis L. Dotson
225 W. Olive Street
Newport, Oregon 97365
Tel (541) 265-4277
Fax (541) 265-4926
TIP OF THE WEEK
Date: April 4, 2016
PREPARE – TRAIN – VOLUNTEER
The following tips are found in the 2016 Emergency Management calendar, which can be downloaded here.
Personal preparedness increases your ability to recover from a disaster.
- Learn about risks you are most likely to face in an emergency.
- Educate your family about the natural disasters that may occur in your location.
- Create a family disaster plan and emergency kits.
- Build a kit for each location in which you spend a lot of time, such as one at home, work, and in your car. Also build a larger kit that you can take with you in your vehicle if you need to evacuate that can meet multiple needs.
- Engage your family by training them on your emergency plan.
- Pick a date this to test, update your plan and train your family.
- Do this annually to adjust for changes in work locations, schools, or daycares.
In addition to being personally prepared for an emergency, you can make a real difference by volunteering to help your neighbors and your community.
- Learn about different types of volunteer opportunities
- Do you know a lot about radios?
- Are you a nurse or doctor?
- Are you a social person who knows everyone in your neighborhood?
- If you have any of these abilities, skills or knowledge you should consider volunteering.
- A wide variety of skills are needed. Think about volunteering.
- For more information about volunteer opportunities please call 541-265-4911.
- For more information about emergency kits and plans visit www.co.lincoln.or.us/emergencymanagement/page/emergency-management-links