OFFICE OF THE SHERIFF
Sheriff Dennis L. Dotson
225 W. Olive Street
Newport, Oregon 97365
Tel (541) 265-4277
Fax (541) 265-4926
TIP OF THE WEEK
Date: February 1, 2016
ACCESS AND FUNCTIONAL NEEDS
If you or someone you know has a disability or needs assistance to live independently, take additional steps to prepare for emergencies. The following tips are found in the 2016 Emergency Management calendar, which can be downloaded at www.co.lincoln.or.us/emergencymanagement.
- Know what type of natural disasters might occur in your area. Prepare for them.
Make a Communications Plan
- Create a personal support network, and prepare them to assist you with your medical equipment, service animals, and transportation needs.
- Teach someone in your support network to use your life saving devices and medicine.
- Make sure they have a spare key to your residence and know where your emergency supplies are located.
- Have a cell phone and paper contact list ready of regional hospitals, doctors, neighbors, and family and friends—both in and out of your area.
- Talk to your medical services provider about their backup plan, including power failures and treatments during an emergency.
- Practice your plan!
Build Two Emergency Kits
- This kit includes survival basics: water, food, radio, flashlight, batteries, and first aid for at least one week or longer.
- This kit contains important medical, personal, and insurance documents and at least one week’s supply of medicine.