Fire Displaces Man And A Child In Otis

By Kiera Morgan

North Lincoln Fire and Rescue crews responded to a call of an RV fire in the 300 block of Deer Lane in Otis Sunday night November 1st. When crews responded they found two motor homes fully engulfed in flames plus power lines on fire along with an adjoining tree. According to Dennis Knutson with North Lincoln Fire crews were able to get the fire extinguished but it was not easy getting to it. “The fire was on a narrow road and with the power lines down impeded the trucks from accessing entering to get to the fire from one side of the road.” As a result Knutson had to divert trucks to the other side of the road to get in and fight the fire.

The cause of the fire according to Knutson was due to one man operating a generator out of a nearby abandoned RV for a long period of time that day. The exhaust from the generator caused fire in the abandoned RV, which spread to the occupied RV. There were no injuries reported. There was one adult man and a child displaced by the fire. The American Red Cross Cascades Region is providing immediate emergency assistance to the family.

The Red Cross provided assistance for temporary lodging, with immediate basic needs, information about recovery services, and disaster health services. The Red Cross advocates emergency preparedness and offers the installation of free smoke alarms in communities across Oregon. They also offer a resource guide to help residents know what to do before, during and after a home fire. For more information about putting together a preparedness plan for your family, go online to www.redcross.org.